Author Topic: Otey Chrisman, anybody have any info?  (Read 10415 times)

Lip Out

Otey Chrisman, anybody have any info?
« on: December 29, 2007, 07:15:51 PM »
My Uncle found a putter in his garage today.  It was made by Otey Chrisman, it has 72 HB stamped on it, has a hickory shaft and a hand wrapped leather grip.  Anybody have any info on this gentleman or his putters? 

I will get pics as soon as possible.

glenwayputters

Re: Otey Chrisman, anybody have any info?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 09:25:01 AM »
it is probably a handmade putter.  otey made some neat stuff back then

jay
www.tpmputters.com, www.tpmregistry.com

Contact me with any of your putter needs. 
Thanks,
Jay

jay@tpmillsputters.com

smitty

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 03:55:40 PM »

golfwanker

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 07:48:41 PM »
They still make them in Alabama http://www.usamericainc.com/page7.html

putterguy

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 10:21:40 PM »
I heard company in Ohio bought the rights to the name and came out with some putters a few years back, but they were nothing special and I dont think that they ever caught on.
CALLAWAY FTi LCG 9.5 VS PROTO 70 X
Squareway 15* vs proto 80 x
Hyper X 18* vs proto 80 x
21 Callaway Ft w/ GD YS HYBRID X
24 Callaway Ft w/ GD YS hybrid X
MIURA CB 202 STR8 NECK 5-P KB TOUR 6.5
CALLWAY X FORGED 52
CALLWAY X FORGED 58
Callaway X Forged 64
TM Spider

JelUltra

• Section Moderator
  • Mmmm... Buttery Blades!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 10:46:04 AM »
I heard company in Ohio bought the rights to the name and came out with some putters a few years back, but they were nothing special and I dont think that they ever caught on.

I know the guy who bought it - it think it was in 2002 - I used to hit range balls at the Maumee Sports Mall just outside of Toledo, and he was probably the nicest person I'd met.  Dammit, I can't recall his name at the moment.  He brought a few of them to show me one evening and let me know that he had just bought the company.  Very nice putters - a real classic look to 'em with a hickory shaft.  They looked like they'd be tough (no forgiveness) to game, though.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 10:50:29 AM by JelUltra »
Read it, roll it, hole it.

hoganapex

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 06:53:36 PM »
i got to meet tad moore and otey at the pga show this year.  i am not sure what otey is up to in the business though.   nice guys both of them..... down to earth

Texsport

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 04:28:51 PM »
I think that Jimmy Demeret used a 72 HB model.
MannKrafted*6266C #2/5:Camelback Proto #1/OneEyeJack #1/BrassBigBoy
Nead*Mini/G-Weld/SaPo9 Custom
Gold's Factory*JPGA Custom
Cameron*Nick Faldo Proto
TM Rossa*Lambeau JGoosen Proto
B Grace*Daly Proto/V J Proto
Tad Moore*JHaas Proto/Woosie
Swanson*DDuval Proto
Edel*DiVincenzo Proto#7/9

evie

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 02:00:15 AM »
Otey married my parents and my brother and I are named after him and his wife.. they were wonderful people. I will never forget the organ he gave me when I was a little girl.

Texsport

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 08:12:59 AM »
In fact, I think Demeret won the masters with an Otey.

The hickory shafted putters fell out of favor partly because players thought that the weather/temperature affected the feel and performance of the shafts.

I putted with one for years.

Texsport
MannKrafted*6266C #2/5:Camelback Proto #1/OneEyeJack #1/BrassBigBoy
Nead*Mini/G-Weld/SaPo9 Custom
Gold's Factory*JPGA Custom
Cameron*Nick Faldo Proto
TM Rossa*Lambeau JGoosen Proto
B Grace*Daly Proto/V J Proto
Tad Moore*JHaas Proto/Woosie
Swanson*DDuval Proto
Edel*DiVincenzo Proto#7/9

smitty

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 08:33:04 AM »
I puitted with this one for close to a decade:

Pinstalker

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 09:55:41 PM »
I collect Otey Crisman's and some of the preceeding comments are correct.  Otey Sr. was a touring pro in the 1930's and ended up making his own putters with hickory shafts.  Some of the other players liked the quality and asked him to make one for them. The rest is history as they say.  He found he could make more money making and selling putters than he could as a pro.  Over the years his putters were used by famous pros to win Majors.  Then as the major club manufacturers began to pay big endorsements, the handmade hickories fell out of favor by the pros.  OteyIII is the current President of the company but the Otey Crisman trademark and inventory was sold to Mitchell Golf of Dayton OH in the early 2000's.  Since those early models are no longer made and hickory shafts are easily broken/burned, they become more rare as time passes.  If you can get them, buy them and keep them. They are collectors items now and yet still can get the ball in the hole with a nice solid feel.  OteyIII is still making clubs but can't use the original logo name "Otey Crisman" so they are called OteyIII's and are marketed by U.S. American,Inc in Selma, Alabama.  I own two of the newer clubs and they are truly handmade gems.

kingken

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 12:36:56 PM »
I collect Otey Crisman's and some of the preceeding comments are correct.  Otey Sr. was a touring pro in the 1930's and ended up making his own putters with hickory shafts.  Some of the other players liked the quality and asked him to make one for them. The rest is history as they say.  He found he could make more money making and selling putters than he could as a pro.  Over the years his putters were used by famous pros to win Majors.  Then as the major club manufacturers began to pay big endorsements, the handmade hickories fell out of favor by the pros.  OteyIII is the current President of the company but the Otey Crisman trademark and inventory was sold to Mitchell Golf of Dayton OH in the early 2000's.  Since those early models are no longer made and hickory shafts are easily broken/burned, they become more rare as time passes.  If you can get them, buy them and keep them. They are collectors items now and yet still can get the ball in the hole with a nice solid feel.  OteyIII is still making clubs but can't use the original logo name "Otey Crisman" so they are called OteyIII's and are marketed by U.S. American,Inc in Selma, Alabama.  I own two of the newer clubs and they are truly handmade gems.
Hello Pinstalker,

You say you collect Otey's. Can you (or anybody) give me any info on this one I just picked up from ebay, looks a little rough but still interesting enough to me to give it a home. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160360569095

I'm new to this so any info is greatly appreciated. Should it have a hickory shaft, if yes should I try to restore it to original? I'd like to give it a second life if I'm not ruining it by getting it cleaned up.Hope you can see the pics ok.

Thanks in advance.

javagolf

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info about Otey's.  I'm learning a lot.

Leslie